Our 286-seat Mainstage Theater is the heart of our programming at Portland Stage. Each year we create seven full-scale productions from September to May on the Mainstage, featuring talented theater professionals from Portland and from away who costume, design, light, direct, and act in heartwarming comedies, gut-wrenching dramas and everything in-between. The Mainstage is also where you’ll find Affiliate Artist readings throughout the season.
A View From Every Seat
One of our favorite features of our Mainstage is that there isn’t a bad seat in the house. We have zero obstructed views, a large enough rise from every seat that there’s no need to worry about being too short to see, and the furthest seats in the house are just 45 feet away from the stage.
Food & Drink
The lobby is open 45 minutes before the start of each Mainstage show. Come early and have dessert, drinks, and treats at Portland Stage.
We offer a variety of beverage options as well as locally made treats carefully chosen for you from our favorite vendors.
- A selection of Beer including some from local breweries.
- Select Cakes and Cookies from Katie Made Bakery.
- Coffee, an exclusive Portland Stage blend specially created for us by Coffee by Design.
- Assorted Nuts from Portland Fruit and Nut Company.
- A variety of Sodas, Bottled Water and Juice.
- Specialty Teas from Harney & Sons.
- Chocolate Truffles from BiBo’s Mad Apple Café.
- Turtle Candies from Wilbur’s of Maine.
- A selection of fine red and white Wines as well as Port.